April 26, 2017
Le Château Frontenac, Quebec City (Canada)
The FIRCAP is an independent, not-for profit and invitation-only platform designed to support collaboration between senior investment executives and strategic advisors of:
- Asset owners who do not currently have sufficient in-house resources to invest directly on their own and see the need to work with peers to innovate how they access private market investments, and are interested to share with peers how they may develop the internal capabilities required to better collaborate by:
- Sharing investment strategies, best practices and expertise to take better advantage of their characteristics of long-term investors and improve the efficiency of their investment activity, particularly in private markets;
- Pooling their resources and networks to explore innovative investment models or specific investment opportunities;
- Developing innovative investment vehicles suiting their strategies and constraints of scale or governance; or
- Where relevant, sharing experience and advice on how to build the institutional and human resources capacity to manage funds in-house.
- Asset owners with strong in-house investment teams who are seeking creative ways to attract aligned capital from peers with a long-term investment horizon by supporting or establishing investment platforms on friendlier or better aligned terms than those generally offered by the asset management market; through high-level, direct and confidential discussions with the primary objective of increasing long-term risk-adjusted returns for themselves and other fiduciary investors.
Participation is strictly limited to those institutions and individuals identified below:
- “Eligible institutions”: Institutional investors (pension funds and other asset owners) that are interested in exploring new investment models and new ways of collaborating with peers. The FIRCAP is not open to investors whose mandate involves managing a significant proportion of assets for third parties.
- “Eligible participants”: Senior investment executives (senior staff with “signing authority”) of Eligible institutions, their Plan Sponsors, or their consultants and strategic advisors.
- “Eligible observers”: Senior executives from external managers may participate in individual FIRCAP meetings when relevant to specific subjects proposed for discussion by Eligible Participants. Their attendance is on the basis that they can contribute their expertise and resources to achieve the objectives defined by a fiduciary investor participant of FIRCAP. No marketing is permitted.
Past participants of FIRCAP meetings include senior investment professionals from the following 30 organizations: Aviva Pension Fund (UK), BBC Pension Fund (UK), Black Coral Capital (USA), BIMCOR (Canada), British Airways Pension Investment Management (UK), CAAT Pension Plan (Canada), Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (Canada), Canada Post Pension Plan (Canada), Desjardins Group Pension Fund (Canada), Fire and Police Pension Association of Colorado (USA), Fonditel Pension Fund (Spain), HSBC Pension Fund (UK), Ireland Strategic Investment Fund (Ireland), Lloyds Pension Fund (UK), London Pension Fund Authority (UK), Montepio Loreto (Spain), National Bank Pension Plan (Canada), New York City Comptroller’s Office (USA), OMERS (Canada), Ontario Pension Board (Canada), OPTrust (Canada), Pensions Infrastructure Platform (UK), Railpen Investment Management (UK), Royal Mail Pension Plan (UK), Saskatchewan Healthcare Employees Pension Plan (Canada), SUN Group (India), Surrey County Council Pension Fund (UK), TIAA (USA), University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation (Canada), World Bank Treasury (USA).